Sunday, September 11, 2011

Homework Post #1

Hello, my name is Esthefanya; I was born and raised in Colombia, so the language that I can speak and understand clearly is Spanish, but I can speak and Understand English as well, although I still having some troubles trying to share and communicate my ideas in English.
When I am home the only language that we speak is Spanish, even though my brother answer everything in English. At work I must speak English at all times, and at school I speak both, depends on the people that I am talking to.

I believe that language "happens" by listening to the people around us, in the same way language is acquired; if you are listening to the same language all the times, most probably is that you are going to speak the same way people around you, using the same words and having the same accent. That is way I strongly believe that the way we learn the first language, is not the same we learn a new one, and base on my own experience doing so is very difficult, and I still wonder why learning a new language can be so difficult?.

2 comments:

  1. Estefanya, although i was born here my first language is Spanish so that's one thing we have in common, however i learned English the same way I learned Spanish. I think it;s interesting how we both started off the same way but came up with completely different end results. I enjoy learning new languages and find it fairly easy. Finally i share your same opinion that depending on where and with whom you were raised is the outcome of both your dialect as well as accent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you that people learn language from the people around them I think language does just happen if you around the same language all the time it is something that you will just pick up I also so understand what you are saying about learning a new language I agree it is very difficult in my opinion I think our minds are so stuck in there ways when it comes to language I think when learning a new language you we are not just learning it but translating every word and trying to match it up with what it is in our first language

    ReplyDelete